SURF 2024 Application Deadline:Applications for SURF L&S are due by 11:59PM Thursday February 15, 2024. To learn more about the program, please attend an information session. For support on preparing a research proposal, consider attending a 'how to write a research proposal' workshop; draft workshops will be scheduled in January and early February.
Applying To SURF
The application worksheet for SURF L&S 2024 is forthcoming and should be posted in early to mid December. Please note that the same application form is used for SURF L&S, the Haas Scholars Program, and Rose Hills Summer Scholarships. The submission portal will go live in early January 2024. If you are applying to any of these programs, we strongly encourage you to attend one of the Information Sessions and also plan to attend an application and proposal drafting workshop in the Winter.
Below you will find links to the materials to prepare your application. When you are ready to submit your application, and the portal goes live, you will be able to click on the blue application portal link.
Please Note: In order to access the application materials (both the portal and worksheets), you must login from a bMail (berkeley.edu) account.
- Applicants for SURF L&S, Haas Scholars and Rose Hills Summer Scholarships may use this worksheet to prepare their research proposal.
- SURF 2024 Application Portal (Link will go live in January 2024)
Faculty Recommendation Portal
- Faculty Recommendation Portal
Applicants are responsible for sending this link to the Faculty Recommendation Portal to their mentors. Applications will be considered incomplete without a letter of recommendation.
- Review the SURF L&S Information Session presentation (see the Resources submenu)
- Review the eligibility criteria (see the program mainpage)
- Prepare a draft of the application, using a worksheet (linked above)
- Although it is not required, applicants are strongly encouraged to attend a proposal writing workshop in the Winter to get feedback on your proposal
- Send a draft of your proposal to your faculty mentor along with a link to the Faculty Recommendation Portal, where they will submit their letter of recommendation.